Acne Scar Treatment
Acne scars are the result of inflammation from acne blemishes.
Acne scars are the result of inflammation from acne blemishes. The acne pore swells and a breakdown occurs in the wall of the pore. Some acne blemishes are small and the scars created are shallow and heal quickly. Sometimes the contents of blemishes spill into the surrounding tissue and cause deeper scars. The skin’s response is to repair the scar by forming new collagen fibers.
Acne scars take on two main forms: either a scar develops when there is a loss of tissue, resulting in an indentation in the surface of the skin; or, a scar develops that is raised on the surface of the skin. This type of acne scar, in fact, is a sign that your skin is doing its job — but, perhaps, too well. Your skin creates collagen (“repair tissue”) to help heal the wound but, if it makes too much collagen, raised scars form.
Even when we do our best to prevent acne scars, some people are prone to scarring. There are many treatment options, which can significantly diminish depressed and raised acne scars.
During a consultation, your New Light Team Member will develop a custom treatment plan based on your skin type and the severity of your acne scars. In addition to quality Vivier® Skin Care products, we may suggest a combination of in-clinic treatments utilizing cutting edge technology. New Light offers two laser treatments that assist with improving Acne Scars:
PicoSure® - This innovative skin rejuvenation treatment is non-invasive, requires minimal downtime and has guaranteed results. As the world’s first, fastest, safest and most effective picosecond laser technology, PicoSure® uses ultra-short and fast bursts of laser light energy to penetrate the surface of the skin, gently targeting pigmentation or abrasions, encouraging the body’s natural healing process to sweep away older, damaged tissue and rebuild it with new collagen and elastin. This is accomplished without causing any damage to the surrounding tissue.
PicoSure® treatment sessions are quick and effective, taking as little as 30 minutes or less, depending on the size of the targeted area. Little to no downtime is experienced with PicoSure® as the laser does not break the surface of the skin or cause any lasting harm. Noticeable results will be apparent as early as the first treatment, but following your clinic professional’s advice, it may take up to 3-7 consistent sessions to achieve your desired result.
ICON® 1540 Laser System - This fantastic device provides a non-surgical laser treatment that revitalizes the skin and helps to reverse the aging process.* If you suffer from moderate-to-severe acne scars, stretch marks, fine lines and wrinkles, spider veins, and rosacea, then you may be the perfect candidate for this aesthetic treatment. In fact, this device is the only Health Canada and FDA-cleared laser system used to treat stretch marks. With ICON®, Dr. Jeffery can address all of your skin concerns at the same time! Treatments do not require any surgery and there is little to no downtime involved. You may be able to come in for a quick procedure and then return to your normal routine immediately. Although patients usually notice visible improvements after 1 treatment, a series of 3-4 treatments is usually recommended to achieve optimal results.* This is especially true if you are looking to improve the tone, texture and appearance of your skin. Immediately after the procedure, you may notice darkening of the treated skin. This is normal, and the outer layers of your skin will soon exfoliate to reveal younger-looking, smoother skin.* As your skin produces new elastin and collagen, you may notice a gradual reduction in scarring.* Over the course of several months, you will notice improved skin texture.*
*Individual results may vary; not a guarantee.
Pre-treatment/Post treatment Instructions - PicoSure®
Precautions to take before your light-based treatment:
- No sun exposure, tanning beds and sunless tanning cream for 4 weeks prior to treatment. Sun exposure decreases the effectiveness of the laser treatment and can increase the chance of Post treatment complications.
- Use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Apply to the treated area every 2 hours when exposed to the sun and it is recommended to make this a part of your skin care routine.
- Remove all makeup, creams or oils prior to treatment.
- Be sure to inform your care provider if you have ever had cosmetic tattoos or cosmetic pigmentation or permanent makeup applied near the area of treatment.
Instructions following your laser treatment:
- Cleanse the treated area at least daily with water and mild soap, and then pat the area dry.
- Do not rub or scratch the treated area.
- If crusting/scabbing occurs, do not shave or pick the area. Apply Aquaphor ointment (tattoo) or other moisturizer (face) to the area 2 - 3 times per day. Keep the area moist, and let the crusting/scabbing resolve on its own.
- If you are prone to breakouts or have oily skin, consider waiting 24 hours before applying any topical products.
- Discomfort may be relieved by cold gel packs and/or an over the counter pain reliever, such as acetaminophen.
- Avoid contact sports or any other activity that could cause injury to the treated area.
- Avoid swimming, soaking or using the hot tub/whirlpool until the skin heals.
- Contact your physician if there is any indication of infection (redness/tenderness or pus).
ICON® 1540 Non-ablative laser post-treatment instructions
- Application of cool gel packs and appropriate topical creams immediately following treatment can help alleviate post treatment itchiness and stinging that may occur.
- Edema, and sometimes blanching, is expected immediately post-treatment and generally resolves within 24- 48 hours. It may last up to 3 - 5 days in some clients.
- Those being treated may experience significant redness, broken capillaries and bronzing in the treatment area for approximately 1 - 3 days after treatment. This may persist in a mild form for several weeks particularly in areas other than the face.
- Following a more aggressive treatment, it may be helpful to use some occlusive ointment on the skin after treatment and during the healing process to help desquamation or crusting.
- To help remove debris and bronzing of the skin that can appear 1 - 4 days after treatment, soak treated areas for 5 - 15 minutes with gauze or washcloth wet with water, then gently remove debris. Do not pick at or scrub the treated areas.
- Gently cleansing and use of non-irritating cosmetics are permitted after treatment. It is suggested that retinoids be discontinued 1 - 2 weeks prior to the initial treatment and throughout the course of treatment. The use of retinoids during the treatment course may result in undesirable side effects and prolonged healing.
- Those prone to acne outbreaks should avoid heavy makeup and moisturizers for 24 hours post treatment.
- As healing occurs, clients should avoid injury and sun exposure for at least 2 weeks following treatments. It is highly recommended that clients use sunscreen with SPF 45 or higher containing UVA/UVB protection between treatments, along with a sun blocker such as zinc oxide whenever they are outside.
- Once the treatment area has healed, some itching or dryness may occur. This will gradually clear. The use of non-irritation moisturizers may provide some relief.
- After treating striae (stretch marks) it is recommended to avoid tight fitting clothes around the treated area for 3 months after the last laser treatment.
- Please advise the treatment provider if there are any issues or concerns following your treatment.