Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatment
As women go through childbearing, hormonal changes and aging, they can experience changes in their genitalia.
Vaginal rejuvenation is a broad term for vaginal corrective treatments. These procedures can be done for cosmetic reasons or to solve age-related problems, such as lack of vaginal tightness and urinary incontinence. Energy-based treatments provide a nonsurgical option for vaginal rejuvenation.
As women go through childbearing, hormonal changes and aging, they can experience changes in their genitalia. Changes that can impact a woman's quality of life include vaginal laxity, stress urinary incontinence, loss of vaginal lubrication, a decrease in erotic sensation and loss of tone of the labia majora. Physicians and the media are finally beginning to talk about these issues and the number of treatments available is increasing.
Dr. Jeffery has extensive knowledge of gynecology and laser medicine. We are proud to offer the only vaginal rejuvenation laser treatments in Medicine Hat and offer two laser options. Please note, no referral is necessary to book a consultation with Dr. Jeffery.
1) The MonaLisa Touch is a breakthrough, non-surgical, non-hormonal treatment for vaginal rejuvenation. By promoting elastin and collagen production in the outer and inner layers of tissue, this technology helps menopausal women regain firmness and hydration in the most intimate areas of the body. MonaLisa Touch can assist women struggling with the symptoms of genitourinary syndrome of menopause, including sexual discomfort, itching, dryness, urinary incontinence, burning sensations, vaginal irritation and vaginal tears.
The laser stimulates the formation of new blood vessels in the vagina, which increases collagen and elastin production (the two proteins responsible for strength and elasticity in the vaginal tissues); by reactivating the collagen production, the vaginal mucosa is able to return to its previous state. The MonaLisa Touch procedure also aims to restore estrogen levels within the vaginal tissues. These processes are what prevent or improve the above post-menopausal or post-childbirth symptoms.
Tissue regeneration begins immediately and lasts for several weeks. Positive results include:
- hydrated mucosa tissue
- thicker epithelium
- Increase in tightening
- more elasticity in the skin.
- The procedure also aims to restore the pH of the vagina, thus minimizing the risk of infections.
2) TempSure Vitalia is a laser treatment for vaginal tightening and rejuvenation. Vitalia is designed to improve the symptoms of vaginal atrophy (laxity, dryness, itchiness, and painful sex) in younger women and women who have recently given birth. The Vitalia device has been approved by the FDA for tightening and restoration of loose vaginal tissue and can also improve nerve sensitivity for a better sexual experience.
TempSure Vitalia works by jump-starting your body’s natural collagen production, which in turn rebuilds areas that have experienced collagen loss due to childbirth, injury, or menopause.
The Vitalia system is a comfortable probe that uses a specially designed radio frequency to stimulate the vaginal canal, telling your body to produce new collagen and elastin in treated areas – both internally and externally. After your Tempsure Vitalia procedure, you may expect to see:
- An improvement in your sexual well-being
- An increase in vaginal and labial tightening
- Reduction in the appearance of enlarged or stretched labia
- An increase in vaginal lubrication and sensitivity
- A decrease in urinary or incontinence problems
- A decrease in pain during intercourse
- Increased confidence in your vaginal well-being
- The increased production of collagen and elastin helps your body to rebuild damaged areas, creating a firmer vagina.
Unlike surgical treatments, TempSure Vitalia is quick, easy, and painless. Each treatment lasts about 15-30 minutes, depending on your specific needs. You should begin seeing results fairly quickly after your treatment, with results continuing to get better as time progresses.
Typical treatment frequency will vary. You may require more than one initial treatment to see the results you desire.
No referral is necessary to book a consultation with Dr. Jeffery. During the consultation you will be asked for a comprehensive history about your gynaecological health, including sexual functioning as well as a self evaluation questionnaire and an evaluation of your level of comfort with the appearance and functioning of your labia and vagina. You will also have a clinical examination. We will then be able to determine the level of the problem and come up with a treatment plan.
MonaLisa Touch Pre-Treatment Instructions
It is important to follow your treatment provider’s instructions before and after treatment
Patient supplies needed (Please purchase these before treatment)
- Moisturizing occlusive ointment, such as Aquophor Healing Ointment or Vaseline ointment
- Gentle, hypoallergenic skin cleanser, such as Spectro Jel (purple) or Cetaphil
- Cold gel packs
- As ointments can stain, it may be ideal to purchase cotton panty liners for immediately after treatment and the few days following treatment
- Patient prescriptions as directed by your physician (if any)
- Shower or bath the morning of treatment, clean treatment area with hypoallergenic skin cleanser
- Closely clip or trim long pubic hair in the treatment area
- Dress in loose fitting pants and cotton underwear the day of treatment
- Please bring Vaseline Ointment or Aquaphor Healing Ointment and cotton panty liner to the appointment
If you have any questions about these instructions or the procedure, please contact your physician
MonaLisa Touch Post-Treatment Instructions
It is important to follow your treatment provider’s instructions before and after treatment.
Although most women tolerate this procedure very well, skin may feel sensitive, may be red, swollen or itchy in the days following treatment. For best healing please follow the directions below.
- Use cold compresses or cold gel packs as needed for swelling and discomfort (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off), do not apply directly to the skin.
- Gently cleanse the area 2 - 3 times a day with a mild, hypoallergenic cleanser.
- Reapply Aquaphor or Vaseline ointment after each wash and continue use until skin is healed.
- Avoid heavy weights or doing intense physical exercise for 3 - 4 days following treatment.
- Refrain from sexual intercourse/vaginal sexual activity for 48 hours following treatment.
- Wear loose fitting pants and cotton underwear for the days following treatment.
- Wait 24 hours before taking a shower or bath and avoid using hot water on the treated area until healing is complete.
If you have any questions about these instructions or how you are healing, please contact your physician.